[su_lightbox type=”inline” src=”#guidelines-xiv”]
[su_lightbox_content id=”guidelines-xiv” width=”88%” margin=”15″ padding=”25″ text_align=”left”]
[su_box title=”ARTICLE XIV – CHANGES IN THESE GUIDELINES” box_color=”#042faf” title_color=”#ffffff”]
Article XIV – CHANGES IN THESE GUIDELINES
- Any proposed change to these Guidelines shall be submitted, in writing, to the Area Chairperson who will present it to the Area Committee as an item for inclusion on the Area As- sembly Agenda.
- The proposed change will be presented at the next Area Assembly Meeting. At that time limited discussion will occur and a vote to consider the proposed change will be taken. If a majority of Area Members present vote to consider the change, the change will be placed on the Agenda for the following Area Assembly Meeting.
- If the proposed change is to be considered, the Area Secretary will distribute a copy of the proposed change to all voting members of the Area 53 Assembly within 15 days of the meeting during which the vote to consider was taken.
- Changes to be considered will be presented to each area Group by their respective GSRs, and the group’s conscience on the proposed change assessed.
- At the following Area Assembly Meeting, the proposed change, which was approved for consideration, will be presented for possible adoption. A two-thirds (2/3) majority vote is needed at that time to adopt the proposed change.
From the Area 53 Guidelines (as of March 2017)
Preamble from the Area 53 Guidelines
Service shall be the Area Assembly’s primary purpose. The Area Assembly shall encourage all Area 53 AA Groups to participate in the business of the Area Assembly and to support the Area Assembly in its efforts to cooperate with Alcoholics Anonymous at all levels.
The Area Assembly is specifically charged with the duties of electing a Delegate to the General Service Conference, giving the Delegate financial support so that he or she may serve the Area and assisting the Delegate in the course of the duties of the office. The Area Assembly is also to elect an Alternate Delegate and Area Officers and Alternates as outlined in Article V of the Guidelines.
Operating Principles from the Area 53 Guidelines
(Adapted from Concept XII of “The Twelve Concepts of World Service”)
Great care shall be taken:
[su_list icon=”icon: caret-right”]
- That the Assembly never becomes the seat of perilous wealth or power;
- That sufficiency of operating funds be its guiding financial principle;
- That none of the Assembly members shall ever be placed in a position of unqualified authority over any of the others; and
- That all important decisions be reached by discussion, vote and whenever possible, by substantial unanimity.
No Assembly action shall ever be personally punitive nor an incitement to public controversy. Though the assembly may act for the service of Alcoholics Anonymous, it shall never perform any acts of government. Like the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous, which it serves, the Assembly itself shall always strive to maintain unity in thought and action.