Correctional Facilities The Area 53 Correctional Facilities Committee (CFC) assists individuals, groups and districts in carrying the AA message to the alcoholics who are confined in, or recently released from jails, prisons, and other correctional facilities. Committee work includes:
- Providing AA Literature to inside AA members and groups
- Serving as a contact for correctional facility administrators to promote cooperation
- Administering a correspondence program focused on sharing the AA message
- Providing AA contacts for inside AA members who are about to be released from their facility
- Increasing awareness of the need for corrections service work in Area 53
Join the Correctional Facilities Committee (CFC) of Area 53 for a day of fabulous fellowship plus learn what we do and how to get more involved in sharing the AA message of HOPE inside and outside the walls. Workshop focuses on how we carry the AA message to the alcoholic who still suffers, especially those confined in, or recently released from jails, prisons, and other correctional facilities.
The CFC Workshop will start at 8:00am and will be at Maple Grove United Methodist Church, 7 W Henderson Rd., Columbus, OH 43214.
March 12, 2017
Quarterly Meeting March 4
- All positions now filled (14)
- Received donations $7142 Appropriated $7000 for literature.
- 2016 Total Literature Purchased $24558.40
- All groups are invited to participate in Area 53 CFC through a Group Institutional Representative. Forms Available.
Workshop 2017 – Planning on track
- Date and Time: April 22, 2017, 8am – 2:45pm
- Location: Maple Grove United Methodist Church
7 West Henderson Rd., Columbus, OH 43214
- Agenda developed; Highlights include speaker from London Correctional. Warden to speak on professional panel. Also a GIR School!
Difficulty with Area 53 Website and Area 53 page in Conscious Contact
- Attempted to post CFC Meeting Schedule and Workshop Info on Area 53 page of Conscious Contact.
- Apparently these items do not meet current criteria for publication. I am told that this was a decision of the Area Committee so intend to raise the issue at the next meeting.
- In the process of trying to find Officer responsible for Area 53 page in Conscious Contact, I was frustrated by the limitations inherent in the website. All efforts to reach officers through website are essentially e-mails. Since I was working near a deadline, this obstacle to direct communication created lots of stress.
Chris J., Chair Area 53 CFC
Here are highlights reported by Area 53 committees at the December assembly:
Correctional Facilities Committee – Paul H.
- On line requests for literature now work with any browser or email (www.area53cfc.org).
- We still need a Recording Secretary for Panel 67.
- Liz M. will stay on as alternate chairperson until a replacement is found.
- If you attended the DRC volunteer workshop in September, call the volunteer coordinator at the institution that you applied for to see if your application was approved.
- The first ever national corrections conference will be held in St. Louis November 10-12, 2017.
- The annual CFC workshop will be held on April 22nd or 29th at Maple Grove Church.
- $8500 was approved for literature purchases for the next quarter.
Grapevine Committee – Larry B.
- Beginning in July of 2016 we began holding our meetings on a quarterly basis. Meetings are still on the second Saturday in Jan., Apr., July, and Oct.
- The attendance averages between 3 to 6.
- The treasury stands at $284.95
- As I have held the chairman position for two years, it is my sincere hope that someone with greater leadership skills will be willing to take the reins of the Grapevine committee come January 2017. I suggest this in the interest of the Spirit of Rotation.
Mini-Conference – Stephen S.
- Registration is now open for the Mini-Conference at Salt Fork State Lodge on March 10-12, 2017. On-line registration is also available at area53aa.org
- Registration is $23. Scholarships will be available. A meal plan is available that includes dinner on Friday and Saturday and lunch on Saturday and Sunday. Prices are on the registration form. Alternatively, our Hospitality Room will be open for all meals at no cost.
- There is a phone number on the Registration Form to call for room reservations before February 9. Lodge rooms are $95. On the registration form, there is a check box if you want to consider sharing your room as a way of saving money. Another cost saving alternative is to rent a cabin that sleeps up to six for $141. The cabins have a full kitchen.
- There will be workshops on Friday afternoon from 4 to 5.
- The Area 53 Special Needs/Accessibility Committee has offered to provide child care while the meetings are in session. The Mini-Conference Committee is working with them to see if it is feasible.
- The Committee meets on the first Monday of the month in Gahanna. We also will need volunteers to help us at the Mini-Conference itself. If you are interested in this service opportunity, see one of the Committee members. Please raise you hand committee members.
Of the 16 Ohio prisons in our service area, six do not have regular participation from outside AA members.
The Area 53 Correctional Facilities Committee (CFC) is working to minimize the obstacles to carrying the message inside Ohio prisons by hosting a convenient Saturday training for AA members willing to attend AA meetings behind the walls. The training will be held Saturday, September 24th, 10am at the COGF meeting room, 645 West Broad St. Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Corrections (ORDC) staff will conduct the training. This training is for new volunteers. If you are already approved to attend meetings within ORDC facilities you do not need to attend, although you are welcome if you want to review policies or have questions. The ORDC requires that volunteers complete 3-4 hour training course before going in. Usually, this is done one-on-one with Recovery Services staff when new AA volunteers ask. However, scheduling can sometimes be difficult for those who work. We hope to assist AA members in meeting these requirements by offering volunteer training on Saturday at a central location. A flyer is attached to this news article.
We will be having our regular Correctional Facilities meeting and electing new officers: Area 53 General Service Correctional Facilities Committee Elections 9/3/16 10 A.M. @ COGF *These “Responsibilities” are suggestions based on the shared experience of others who have gone before us. Should you consider any of the elected positions described below, you are expected … Continue reading Correctional Facilities Committee Elections Sept 3
Join us on September 24, 9:00am – 2:00pm (a non OSU football weekend) to learn how to carry the message into a correctional facility. This workshop will be held at the COGF meeting room at 645 W Broad St, Columbus Ohio. A trainer from the department of corrections will be on hand to walk you … Continue reading Outside Sponsor Training
Join us for a day of fabulous fellowship plus learn what we do and how to get more involved in sharing the AA message of HOPE inside and outside the walls. Workshop focuses on how we carry the AA message to the alcoholic who still suffers, especially those confined in, or recently released from jails, prisons, and other correctional facilities. Fellowship and food from 8am to 9am. Workshop with lunch 9am to 2:30pm. See the news item or calendar for complete agenda.
The CFC Quarterly meeting was held December 5th at COGF with the following actions noted: 95% of the literature requested by outside sponsors was fulfilled. We voted to move the September Quarterly meeting to the first Saturday in September. Bob D. was elected as liaison, the position being open due to a a resignation. $6200 … Continue reading CFC Committee Meeting Report
ALL interested AA’s are welcome to join the Area CFC committee to learn more about what we do, how to get involved in sharing the AA message of HOPE to incarcerated alcoholics, and enjoy fabulous fellowship, too. Workshop will focus on carrying the AA message to the alcoholic who still suffers, especially those confined in, … Continue reading CFC Workshop Coming May 2, 2015